Sunday, January 25, 2009

Devree & Shana Fly Out

Today is the day that Devree and Shana leave for Memphis. As we were trying to get all of the information from St. Jude so that we could make flight arrangements, they told us that they would be buying tickets for Devree and one parent. Taking the same last minute flight with Devree and Shana had a price tag of $1100. So I had to make another plan, because we have to plan for long term. That meant making more inexpensive flight arrangements. Thank you Matt and Amber. (This is the part where sometimes it is hard to share.)

I’m sorry, but I have to throw in an extra paragraph here. Some of you would do whatever it takes to be on that plane with Devree and Shana. One of my new friends went with his wife and daughter for months and sacrificed his job to do so. In his situation, it was probably the right choice and made sense. We are planning for our situation.

As I wrote that last paragraph, it reminded me of my Dad’s analogy of “An Old Man, A Little Boy, and A Donkey.” As they started out, the old man was walking and the little boy was riding the donkey. As they passed traveler’s going in the other direction, they heard. “How terrible, that little boy is making that poor old man walk.” So the little boy got off the donkey and let the old man ride. The next people they passed said, “How terrible, that old man is making that poor little boy walk.” So the old man got off the donkey and they both walked. When they passed the next people, they heard, “How ridiculous, one of them should be riding that donkey.” It all depends on your perspective.

I have been learning how all of you feel. It is so hard to not be with Devree. She is just wonderful to be around, and I want to be with her so I can help. Then my thoughts are… If I can’t be with her, I want to get as much information as possible. The problem with that is… That I want to see a picture of Devree everyday, but I know that she won’t always feel ready for the camera. We can all relate to that.

Well, I need to go and help the girls get to the airport.

Love,
Todd

7 comments:

walkinourshoes said...

So, When do you fly out, Uncle Todd?

Ky and Tammie plus 7 said...

Todd,
I am sorry you could not fly out with them. And don't worry...whatever decision you and Shana make is right for you and your family. No matter what! No one will second guess you on any of this!!

Love to you all,
Tammie

Shana Hamblin said...

Koe,

I'll be leaving tomorrow morning. This week has been so wonderful. I just didn't want it to end.

Aunt Paula brought Kolten, Teara, Locey, and we had a lot of fun together.

Love,
Uncle Todd

Shana Hamblin said...

Tammie,

Thank you. I guess I'm just thinking to much about what it will be like while they are gone.

I appreciate how supportive you are.

Love,
Todd

Shana Hamblin said...

Paula brought Skyla too! Sorry about that!

Powla said...

We had so much fun visiting you guys! The drive was totally worth it, with minimal fighting between Locey and Skyla, so we feel like we could do it again sometime. Even though Devree and Shana will be gone, we would love to come and visit you and the boys while you are "bachelors" for awhile.
The thing that impressed me the most about our visit was how normal you all are. We just met you at the movie theatre to see Inkheart with you like it was a common thing to do, went back to your home, had barbecued hamburgers, the kids ran around, chasing Lowrider around the house, and it was like a normal visit. Todd and Shana, you are both going through sooooo much, and yet you are handling it amazingly well. You inspire me.
And Devree is as cute as ever with her smile and sense of humor! Sunday morning I gave her a hug goodbye and told her I hope she would manage to find some fun on her trip. She laughed and said, "Yeah, it's just like a vacation!" It was so good to see you, Devs! Can't wait to see you again.

Natalie Warner said...

Todd, I can only imagine what it must have been like to send Shana and Devree on that plane without hopping on it yourself. Heavenly Father will strengthen and comfort you, of that I'm sure. Hang in there. We keep praying for you and your whole family.