Wednesday, March 4, 2009

No More Honeycomb Face!

Here is Dr. Carlisle (Armstrong) but he is in the shadows and you can't see his nice blue eyes. He just got a haircut and told us all of his gray hairs are sticking up.
Today is the last day for Devree to lay on her tummy and have her face in a mask that causess honeycombs on her face from the shape of the holes in the mask. Devree just told me today that she hated when I told her that her face looked like honeycombs. I didn't realize this. I am happy for Devree because she had a problem with one of the male technicians that had this smirk on his face because he would expose her bum crack to get the alignment for her radiation. We had to tell the staff to be considerate of the "butt crack" because she is 14 and this bothers her. Now she gets to lay on her back to just have radiation on her head. We are hoping that she will not be as nauseous (as she vomits up her breakfast just now).
Last night I got Todd at midnight and I was very proud of myself for setting up the GPS and getting to the airport and the way home without getting lost. That is a FEAT here in Memphis because one road changed names 3 times. Going to the airport it is named one way and coming back home it is named another. I still can't tell what is East and West in this town. I knew that I needed to go East from the airport because that was how it was on the map. I took the road East and the GPS told me to turn around because I needed to go West before I could go East. CONFUSING! It is so nice to have Todd here and let him see what our life is like.
Sorry yesterday that I ended abruptly. My laptop was quitting.
So here is your funny message for today. Erma Bombeck wrote a book about cancer kids and Todd said this one girl wanted to play a trick on the medical staff. She put apple juice instead of urine in the container and in front of the nurse she said, "Oh this looks too cloudy so I will reprocess it" and drank it right then. Devree said that measuring how much she urinates "Is just CREEPY! That is something PERSONAL."

5 comments:

soggycheerios said...

So glad Todd made it safely there. I'm sure there is a great deal of mental relief just being reunited with him. Enjoy your time with him, this is almost over, and we can't wait to get you guys back.
Connie

Darcy said...

So there's a road like Edmonds, Fairview, College Parkway in Memphis? Too bad you don't have mountains to guide you there. WE've got it easy out west. I'm seding you a package today.

Breck, Celest, Tayzia, Talon, Kallie, and Jackson Rice said...

Devree, we are so happy that you are finished with radiation on your spine! That is a great milestone. We are also happy that Todd has arrived safely in Memphis. See you tonight! Love, Aunt Celest

Ky and Tammie plus 7 said...

Yea Todd arrived! I can only imagine how much he missed his girls.

I am doing a "Happy Dance" that Devree doesn't need the radiation on her spine any longer! And yes, I am glad you said something about the tech...

Devree, you look so, so good in this picture!

Can't wait to see all of you in April.

Hugs and kisses,
Aunt Tammie

angelicindy said...

Dad tells a joke like that except that is was about a nurse that would come in and give some guy "juicy-wuicy" (aka apple juice) every morning to help him give the sample he needs. So one day he changes his juicy-wuicy for the real thing. When the nurse comes in to check on it, she says that it's looking a little cloudy and the guy tells her he'll reprocess it. Gross. Still, every time Trevor made it into the hospital when he was a kid (and it was a lot... he was a bit accident prone), then Dad would tell his joke. Of course, Trevor thought it was hilarious and Dad would bring Trev some apple juice.